The place where I have been living the last few years is an enormous bunch of ripe bananas in and of itself. God provided a great place with an awesome roommate, unbeatable price and wonderful landlords to boot! Each of these elements were none I could have pieced together on my own. Several months before I even realized my need to move from where I had been living, this amazing provision came knocking at my door.
When I first moved in with my roommate there were a number of things we needed to furnish the place. Neither of us had a whole lot of money to spare so we began to pray for God to provide the things we needed and at an affordable price. Here are a few of the ways He provided:
- Kitchen/dining table and chairs – from my older sister who had recently acquired her own
- Entertainment center- an extra sitting in a friend’s garage
- T.V. with VCR- a spare my parents weren’t using
- DVD player- free from friend’s of my roommate
- Vacuum- from a co-worker who had just moved in with two other girls who also had vacuums- she “just happened” to mention as much to me within a week of me realizing we needed one!
- 2 Futons, 2 dressers and a desk- all left behind by our landlord for us to use!
- Space heater- an extra a friend no longer needed
- Dry wall repairs and supplies- donated by my roommate’s dad
Not only were these provided within a short period of time after moving in, each of them were free! Next time your vacuum or washing machine breaks or some other practical need arises (not to say a t.v. and dvd player are needs by any means!) and you don’t have the money to replace it, don’t panic! God knows our needs long before they arise and is perfectly able to provide for each and every one. It may not be how, when and what we want Him to provide, but He knows all our needs (spiritual, physical, emotional…) so much better than we do ourselves. He truly is the perfect, loving, compassionate, generous Father He claims to be. Maybe He will provide in the form of a neighbor letting you use their washing machine rather than going to a laundry mat or maybe He wants you to go to a laundry mat for a while just so you’ll bump into someone He wants you to meet or reach out to- or maybe they’ll be the one to bless you! Moral of the story: God provides! In His way and His time, He will come through if we will just hold fast to the One who is holding us.
And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. ~Philippians 4:19
Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Fear the Lord, you his saints, for those who fear him lack nothing… The righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all. ~Psalm 34:8-9, 19